Winning a bonus for Bath Rugby

Bathed in glorious sunshine, the Rec was a real picture, and the rugby was fitting of the occasion. The first few minutes were all Glasgow, but from a lineout Lee Mears made a surging break to leave the Glasgow defence at sixes and sevens and when the ball was spun out wide Matt Perry set up Frikkie Welsh for a superb score.

Glasgow got off the mark with a Dan Parks penalty, but they visitors took the lead following some questionable Bath defending allowed Andy Henderson to skip through Matt Perry's challenge to score a try which was converted by Parks.

Perry, who was hurt making the tackle was replaced shortly after by Michael Stephenson before Bath reduced the deficit with an Olly Barkley penalty. It was a brief respite as Dan Parks stretched the visitors' advantage with a try close to the posts which he converted.

Trailing by two scores, Bath were spurred into life and responded with a wonderful try. Olly Barkley made a strong break and produces a wonderful flip pass to Michael Stephenson, who picked a great line for a good score. Barkley missed the conversion, but atoned with a monsterous 51 metre penalty shortly after to reduce the deficit to just one point.

Parks slotted over his second penalty, but Bath attacked immediately after and Tom Cheeseman looked to have scored but referee Berdos spotted a forward pass in the move. However, Bath did regain the lead in the fortieth minute when Michael Lipman pounced on a poor Glasgow lineout to barge over the line from five metres out.

However, the lead was short-lived as Parks added another penalty on the stroke of half time to leave the two sides tied at the interval.

The second half took a while to get going, but Glasgow had an early opportunity to score, but a knock-on prevented the Warriors re-taking the lead in the fourty-second minute.

Bath were reduced to fourteen men when Peter Short was binned for killing the ball, but Bath produced a series of heroics at the scrum to prevent Glasgow from taking advantage. However, Bath had their chances too and Olly Barkley missed a a brace of routine penalties before Bath's pressure proved too much for the Glasgow scrum and Salesi Finau squeezed over in the corner.

Bath though, could not pull clear and Glasgow, playing with great confidence, came right back into the game when replacement fly half Colin Gregor stroked over a penalty with five minutes remaining.
With time running out, both sides pressed, but Olly Barkley kicked a routine penalty to restore the advantage. The dying moments, like the opening ones, were dramatic as Glasgow searched for a score, but Bath held on for a deserved bonus point victory.

Bath Rugby:15 Matt Perry (Strephenson 1t), 14 Salesi Finau (1t), 13 Tom Cheeseman, 12 Olly Barkley (1c, 3p), 11 Frikkie Welsh (1t), 10 Chris Malone, 9 Nick Walshe (Williams), 1 Matt Stevens, 2 Lee Mears, 3 Duncan Bell (Barnes), 4 Steve Borthwick (capt), 5 Peter Short (Fidler), 6 Andy Beattie, 7 Michael Lipman (1t), 8 Gareth Delve.

16 Pieter Dixon, 17 Dave Barnes, 18 James Scaysbrook, 19 Rob Fidler, 20 Andy Williams, 21 Andy Higgins, 22 Michael Stephenson.

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Graydon Staniforth, 14 Hefin O'Hare, 13 Graeme Morrison, 12 Andy Henderson (1t), 11 Rory Lamont, 10 Dan Parks (1t, 2c, 3p) (Gregor), 9 Graeme Beveridge CAPTAIN (Pinder), 1 Euan Murray* (Harrison), 2 Scott Lawson* (Thompson), 3 Kevin Tkachuk, 4 Tim Barker, 5 Craig Hamilton (Turner), 6 Steve Swindall, 8 John Beattie*, 7 John Barclay*

16 Fergus Thomson*, 17 Lee Harrison, 18 Gregor Hayter, 19 Dan Turner, 20 Sam Pinder, 21 Colin Gregor*, 22 Andy Craig

Cards: Peter Short (51 mins), Graeme Morrison (76 mins)
Ref: Christophe Berdos:
Att: 9810

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.