University of Bath edged out by Cardiff Met

21 November 2019

University of Bath suffered a 32-13 defeat to Cardiff Metropolitan in their first BUCS Super Rugby match of the season at the University of Bath Sports Training Village on Wednesday.

A 400-strong crowd enjoyed a closely-contested opening 60 minutes, which saw the match finely poised at 13-13. Max Ojomoh, George Worboys and Simone Elrick all represented the side from the Bath Rugby academy, but it was the Welsh University side that came away with a bonus-point win. 

Both teams went into the game on the back of wins last week and the first half proved to be a well-fought, evenly-matched contest.

The home team struck first, applying pressure from the off with a series of lineout drives that eventually led to Chris Barry going over and George Worboys adding the extras. [7-0]

Cardiff Met’s response was immediate, with the scrum they forced from the kick-off providing the platform for a series of phases close to the Bath line. The home defence was eventually breached when Ed Spragg went under the posts, leaving Harry Johnston with a simple conversion. [7-7]

Both teams had long periods of pressure after that but the defences stood firm and the only additions to the scoreboard were a late penalty apiece, Johnston for Cardiff Met and Worboys with the last kick of the half for Team Bath. [10-10]

Cardiff Met lost hooker Corey Lewis to the sin-bin two minutes into the second half but the hosts couldn’t take full advantage of their extra man and only had another Worboys penalty to show for their efforts. [13-10]

Johnston replied in kind to level at 13-13 before Cardiff Met regained the lead as they turned over possession in Team Bath’s half, leading to a converted try from lock Tom Pearson. [13-20]

A brilliant last-ditch tackle from Sam Kennaugh prevented what seemed a certain try from visiting winger Zach Clow but Team Bath’s reprieve did not last long as they were penalised from the resulting scrum on their own line, handing the initiative back to Cardiff Met and number 8 Alex Ward punished them by burrowing over. [13-25]

The victory, and bonus point, was wrapped up when Team Bath winger Alex Varney was yellow-carded. The penalty was kicked to the corner and Max Heathman went over from the line-out, with Evan Lloyd adding the extras. [13-32]

Next up is a big South West derby against in-form Exeter University on Wednesday 26th November. 

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.