Nine-try Bath United defeat London Irish A

Bath United got their Aviva A League campaign back on track tonight with a nine-try, 0-60 bonus point victory over London Irish A at Sunbury.

A 10th minute penalty kick from Tom Heathcote started proceedings for United before, five minutes later, they had their first five-pointer through Mat Gilbert, the flanker peeling off the back of a rolling maul to score.

A bullet-like pass from Heathcote to Ben Williams gave the inside centre an unopposed run in for their second try with 20 minutes gone. Heathcote added the extras and United were ahead 0-15.

To emphasise their dominance, United wasted no time in scoring again, Gavin Henson finishing off some effective work from the centres to make it another close-range effort for United. The difficult kick from out wide by Heathcote made it 0-22.

With minutes to go in the first half, Heathcote popped back inside to haring winger Saeed Agboke from first phase ball. Agboke glided through unopposed before being caught on the Exiles' 5m. From there, fast hands fed the ball to hooker Tom Dunn, who scored his side's fourth, and bonus point, try. 0-27.

Fearns topped off an outstanding individual performance with a try on half-time, with Heathcote’s conversion taking United into the break 0-34 to the good. 

Half-time: London Irish A 0 - Bath United 34 

United started the second half as they finished the first, with some penetrating work from the forwards giving way to a second try from Gilbert on 45 minutes. Converted by Heathcote, it was now 0-41 to the visiting side.
Ten minutes later, the controlling Heathcote chipped over the Exiles’ blitz defence, and outside centre Ludi Hopkinson latched onto the kind, bouncing ball. Heathcote tracked outside the centre, quickly shipping the ball out to Agboke, who outsprinted the defence to score his second try. 0-46.

Agboke didn’t have to wait long to score his fifth try in two matches for United, a strong surge by replacement centre Max Clark giving him the space to score in the corner. The conversion from Heathcote made it 0-53 just shy of the hour mark.

Things went quiet on the scoreboard – despite United’s continuing strong efforts – until the 75th minute, when Heathcote sidestepped his way over after a strong United scrum in front of the Exiles’ posts. Conveniently already under the posts to take the conversion, he made it 0-60, and moments later the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of a magnificently dominant display by United.
Final Score: London Irish A 0 - Bath United 60.

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.