Fourteen-man Bath Rugby picked up a try bonus point in a 39-29 defeat to Wasps at the Ricoh Arena.
Thomas Young and Josh Bassett scored either side of a Miles Reid effort to see the Coventry-based outfit ahead at the break before Michael Le Bourgeois extended their lead on 47 minutes.
Tries from Josh McNally, Beno Obano and Ben Spencer turned the game on its head but Obano saw red late on ahead of two late Wasps tries which sealed the result.
Wasps set their attacking stall out from minute one and enjoyed the lion’s share of the ball in the opening exchanges, though they found a resolute and stubborn Bath defence in their way.
Joe Cokanasiga began a personally solid first half with a big hit in the wide channel and Cam Redpath swooped in for a turnover and relieve the early pressure.
The hosts did edge ahead soon after as they continued on the front foot. Kicking to the corner from the halfway, the pack hit the fringes for several phases inches from the line before Young brushed the whitewash.
Le Bourgeois made a clean break as Wasps threatened once more and but for a pass to the deck, Dan Robson would have added to their tally.
Bath showed how dangerous they could be on the decent Ricoh track on the quarter as Zach Mercer picked from the base of the scrum and fed Jonathan Joseph on a long jink to the 22.
Then Cokanasiga sneakily carried from a ruck and released Will Chudley on a trot but the scrum-half couldn’t quite find the angle to set Reid away.
Miscommunication at the line-out resulted in Bath letting a chance slip deep in Wasps territory before patience saw the away side cross for the first time.
A number of white shirts flocked to a five-metre maul, sending it rolling on and after some physical phases, Reid finished low for his second try in as many games.
Wasps almost replied when Paolo Odogwu got the luck of the bounce to scoot in behind but chose to dart inside rather than use men outside him and Reid made sure any chance of a home score was dented with an incredible jackal.
However, Umaga kicked three points ahead of sending Bassett on a sprint to five points as Wasps ended the half on top.
They crossed for a try early in the second period too, 60 seconds after Bailey’s penalty had brought Bath to within seven. Centre Le Bourgeois proving the beneficiary of slick home handling.
Stuart Hooper’s side rallied and took control of proceedings for a long stint as they aimed to beat away at the deficit. Lock McNally muscled his way over, backed up by his forward-teammates and Bailey converted expertly from the touchline.
With the ascendency, Obano’s huge carry saw him crash under the posts on the hour and that was followed up nine minutes from time by Spencer.
Replacement Elliott Stooke’s half-break allowed Reid the space manipulate the Wasps defence and pass cutely to the England international who sauntered in for the try bonus.
Momentum swung back into Wasps’ favour seven minutes from time when Obano was sent off for a high tackle and Lee Blackett’s men used the numerical advantage well with Young rumbling over for a second before Odogwu sealed the game in the closing stages.
15. Rob Miller, 14. Paolo Odogwu, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 12. Michael Le Bourgeois, 11. Josh Bassett, 10. Jacob Umaga, 9. Dan Robson; 1. Tom West, 2. Tommy Taylor, 3. Kieran Brookes, 4. Joe Launchbury ©, 5. Will Rowlands, 6. Ben Morris, 7. Thomas Young, 8. Brad Shields
Replacements: 16. Gabriel Oghre, 17. Ben Harris, 18. Jeff Toomaga-Allen, 19. Levi Douglas, 20. Tom Willis, 21. Will Porter, 22. Charlie Atkinson, 23. Zach Kibirige
15. Anthony Watson, 14. Joe Cokanasiga, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Cameron Redpath, 11. Will Muir, 10. Orlando Bailey, 9. Will Chudley; 1. Juan Schoeman, 2. Tom Dunn, 3. Henry Thomas, 4. Josh McNally, 5. Charlie Ewels ©, 6. Miles Reid, 7. Sam Underhill, 8. Zach Mercer
16. Jacques du Toit, 17. Beno Obano, 18. Christian Judge, 19. Elliott Stooke, 20. Josh Bayliss, 21. Ben Spencer, 22. Max Clark, 23. Alex Gray
25 April 2021
Referee: Ian Tempest
Half Time score: 15-5
- Tries: Young (6, 73), Bassett (36), Le Bourgeois (46), Odogwu (77)
- Conversions: Umaga (37, 47, 74, 79)
- Penalties: Umaga (35, 54)
- Tries: Reid (28), McNally (50), Obano (59), Spencer (69)
- Conversions: Bailey (51, 59, 70)
- Penalties: Bailey (45)