Five try Bath United see off London Irish

A dominant Bath United put five tries past London Irish this evening to secure their second bonus point win in the Aviva A League in as many weeks.

Tries from Guy Mercer, Ollie Devoto, Will Skuse, Chris Cook and Semesa Rokoduguni, in addition to 12 points from Devoto's boot, proved too much for Irish, who could only manage one converted try for fullback Foster Horan in response.

United started well and were always looking to put Irish under pressure early with a nice chip and run from JJ Kilmartin, along with some good work from the backs. The forwards were also starting to stamp their authority on the match, they stole ball from Irish's first lineout and set the standard in early exchanges in the scrum.

The home side took an early lead with a penalty from Devoto, the fly-half also taking another opportunity soon after to make the score 6-0 after 16 minutes.

It was clear to see that the young number 10 was looking to dictate, using a tactical kicking game to pin London Irish in their own half. Devoto's boot gave United a lineout on the away team's five metre, and the resulting driving maul found captain Guy Mercer going to ground to score the home side's first try of the evening. Devoto couldn't add to the score, 11-0.

The fledging fly-half was back on the score sheet again less than five minutes later when some good awareness saw him jink inside and around three Irish players to score underneath the posts. This time he made sure of the conversion, 18-0.

Bath were a constant threat to the Irish defence and the away team struggled to hold them. United's pack forced themselves over, again from the Irish five metre, Will Skuse planted the ball over the line and Devoto converted again, 25-7.

Before the half closed, London Irish found themselves with a rare attack into the home side's half. What looked to be a loose pass from scrum-half Stuart Commins was pounced on by full-back Horan who had just enough speed to get away from Olly Woodburn and successfully score under the posts.  The conversion was good but United still had the edge, leading 25-7 going into half-time.

The second half found the home side picking up where they left off, deep inside the Irish 22. Chris Cook, having replaced Mark McMillan, found himself at the back of a ruck, where some quick thinking allowed him to dart for the try-line, leaping over to score. Devoto added to his tally for the evening, allowing Bath to stretch their lead to 32-7.

United continued to dominate the rest of the game, constantly pinning the opposition in their own half. Jake Oldaker went over after some tidy attacking play from the United back three, but he was adjudged to have been held up. Rokoduguni also contributed with some huge tackles to thwart the Irish attack.

Moments later the big hitting Fijian was rewarded for his hard work as he crossed the line for the home side. Marcus Beere, who had entered the game for Ollie Devoto, couldn't convert for further points, but a well-worked win had been secured by the home side.

Final Score: Bath United 37 - London Irish 7

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.