Bath United entertain in narrow defeat to Quins

21 December 2015

An entertaining Bath United team were left to rue some missed opportunities against the more experienced Harlequins A tonight, losing 20-16 in a lively encounter at the Twickenham Stoop. 

Captain Tom Dunn led a first-minute charge into the Quins 22, from where United were awarded a penalty after a breakdown misdemeanour by the home team. Fly-half Adam Hastings slotted the three points with ease. 0-3.

A quarter of an hour later, Quins then brought down the United maul, incurring the wrath of the referee's whistle once again, and once again it was Hastings who was there to strike a nice kick from out on the left. 0-6. 

Quins responded swiftly with a chip down the left wing by fullback Charlie Walker, who vied with the retreating United defence for the ball and emerged the winner as he touched down. Fly-half Luke White converted to take the lead for Quins. 7-6. 

Some resolute defending from United from then until the 40th minute - including giving no quarter on their 5m - was punctuated by some spectacular moments with the ball in hand through fullback Darren Atkins and Hastings.

Half time: Harlequins A 7-6 Bath United 

Quins got the first chance at goal in the second half with United penalised on the visitors' 10m and in line with the posts, and White made it 10-6 with his kick. 

Atkins' moment of the match came as the hour approached, gliding through the defence on his 22 and then scorching away down the middle of the pitch, ably supported by scrum-half Jonathan Evans. United were stopped on the home 5m, but illegally so and Quins lock Kieran Treadwell was sin-binned.

United, after one or two false starts on their attacking lineout, finally got the try they were after following some powerful hit-ups through flankers Levi Douglas and Syd Blackmore allowed them to go wide and wing Liam Forsyth to crash over in the corner. Hastings's incredible touchline conversion then gave United a 10-13 lead. 

That then became 10-16 as Hastings added another fine penalty, only for Quins to regain the lead after patient work by their forwards in United's 22 took them over the line for a try converted by White. 17-13. 

White took Quins a converted try ahead with seven minutes remaining, thanks to another penalty deep in United territory.

United weren't out of it yet, though: a scrum penalty saw them into Quins' 22 for an attacking lineout with two minutes left, only to knock the ball on at their throw. 

As the final minute ticked down, it looked like United would need to steal Quins' ball at a lineout on the home 10m. Impressively, they did exactly that, only to knock the ball forward, thus ending what had been an enjoyable contest at the Stoop.

Full time: Harlequins A 20-16 Bath United

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.