Bath Rugby spoil Wasps' St George's Day party

Bath Rugby put in a spectacular six try display at Twickenham Stadium to spoil London Wasps' St George's Day party for the second year in a row. Final Score 10-43.

Bath couldn't have asked for a better start to this monumental St George's day game, breaking the line in the first five minutes with centre Matt Carraro blasting through the Wasps defence. Patiently maintaining possession early on, fullback Nick Abendanon slipped through the defence and once tackled, cleverly popped the ball off the floor to a speedy Tom Biggs who sprinted in for the first try. Fly-half Sam Vesty converted. 0-7.

The opening quarter at Twickenham saw an increasingly dominant Bath side looking the more dangerous of the two sides with the vast majority of play in Wasps goal area.

With 18 minutes played Bath were again near another score, with Carraro charging at the Wasps defence. Held up less than a metre short of the try line, Bath were awarded a penalty for Wasps killing the ruck. Vesty stepped up and slotted an easy but deserved three points. 0-10.

Bath's intensity was matching the extremely hot weather with a staunch defence minimising any Wasps possession.

The yellow and blacks couldn't hold onto the ball and a knock on saw scrum half and captain Michael Claassens show good vision, swinging a long pass to Matt Banahan. The towering winger turned on the pace, drew the last defender and released Biggs, who ran in for his second try. Vesty was on form again adding the extras. 0-17.

Wasps countered Bath's earlier penalty goal when the visitors defence, again preventing any line breaks, were penalised for offside. Fly-half Dave Walder was successful in his penalty attempt, making the score 3-17.

An immediate reply was issued by Bath when Tom Varndell was forced to clear his line under pressure providing Bath with an attacking line out. A strong set piece fed Claassens who jinked through the defence drawing Richard Haughton, to give Banahan the inside pass who ran in the final fifteen metres for his 30th Premiership try. Vesty found the middle once more. 3-24.

On the stroke of half time, Biggs got his hat trick try and Bath's all important bonus point fourth. Wasps, turned over by Bath's solid defence, found themselves lacking in numbers out wide. Many hands contributed to the try - Claassens found Mears who took it forwards, offloading to Taylor with Vesty next in line finally shipping the ball onto Biggs. Standing up his oppositional winger, Biggs ran in the remaining 20 metres, driving his way over the final few yards with two Wasps defenders on his back. 3-29.

The second half saw a much more cohesive Wasps side than the first half but still they could not break down the staunch defence. However, Bath had stepped up another gear and were on the attack. Vesty showed great footwork, breaking through the defence and then chipped on over the last defender for Banahan to pounce on and score. Vesty's conversion was successful. 3-36.

A second's lapse in the away side's concentration enabled Wasps to claw back a try. An ever alert Joe Simpson cut through the defence and sprinted to the try line, and converted his own try. 10-36.

Five minutes were left and Bath were not finished in entertaining their loyal supporters. Attacking purposefully, Vesty span wide to replacement flanker Guy Mercer whose attacking flare drew the defence. Offloading to Biggs, the rapid winger tip-toed down the touch line and chipped onwards for Banahan to pick up and score his second try of the day. Vesty converted. 10-43.

With the whistle blown, the game was over and the Bath side rejoiced in the roar of the crowd as once more, Bath had put on a spectacular performance securing a well needed win.

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.