Bath Rugby seal impressive victory against Worcester Warriors

Bath Rugby secured an impressive 28-13 victory against an in-form Worcester Warriors at the Rec this afternoon. 

Following a scrappy opening five minutes, it was Worcester who took the early lead through the boot of Duncan Weir after Bath were penalised for coming in at the side of the ruck. [0-0]

Bath responded immediately, as Freddie Burns levelled up the scores with a routine penalty after the Blue, Black and White were held up over the line. [3-3]

With the possession and territory firmly in Bath’s favour, their patience was rewarded with the opening try of the game on the 22 minute mark. After a number of pick and goes, the backs were released into action, as Burns found Semesa Rokoduguni, who evaded the tackles to power over from close range.  Burns added the conversion. [10-3]

The lead didn’t last long, as Worcester hit back with a try of their own three minutes later. Quick ball from a scrum on halfway saw Chris Pennell make inroads into the Bath half, before his clever offload found Francois Venter. The South African centre then found his midfield partner Ryan Mills, who had the easy run in. Weir’s conversion put the match all square with 15 minutes to play in the first half. [10-10]

Bath continued to test the resolve of the Worcester defence and got back in front on the scoreboard once again through Burns, who maintained his 100% record from the tee. It was the fly-half who had the last say in the half, as he capitalised on a Worcester infringement at the scrum to add a further three point four minutes before the interval.  

Half-time – Bath Rugby 16-10 Worcester Warriors

The second half started how the first half ended, as Bath extended their lead four minutes in. Camped in their own 22 following a wave of Bath's attacks, Francois Hougaard looked to clear his lines. However, Matt Garvey charged down the South African's kick and his back row partner Tom Ellis was on hand to pounce on the ball to score. Burns continued his perfect record with another two points. [23-10]

With just over 25 minutes to play, Weir reduced arrears to 10 points with another successful kick at goal. [23-13] 

Bath's dominance up front continued to cause problems, but the Blue, Black and White found themselves up against a resilient defensive line. However, with the clocking heading towards the red, Elliott Stooke capped a Man of the Match performance with the final try of the afternoon. Good work from Kahn Fotuali'i, Burns and Ruaridh McConnochie in the build-up gave Bath an attacking platform in the Worcester 22. The move was rewarded when Stooke dived over on the right flank to complete an impressive performance at the Rec. 

Next up for Bath will be a trip to Kingston Park on Friday, before Sale head to the West Country on Sunday 2nd December. 

Full-time - Bath Rugby 28-13 Worcester Warriors 


New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.