Bath Rugby qualify for Premiership Rugby 7s quarter-finals

27 July 2018

Bath Rugby kicked off their Premiership Rugby 7s campaign with victory over Worcester Warriors and defeat to Exeter Chiefs at Franklin’s Gardens.

The Blue, Black and White recovered from 12-5 down to score four unanswered tries and comfortably breeze past Warriors 29-12, before a 31-15 loss against the Aviva Premiership finalists meant that Bath finished second in Pool C.

They will face Harlequins in tomorrow’s quarter-final. 

Bath started with Max Wright, Tom Doughty, Tom de Glanville, Chris Cook, Jack Wilson, Darren Atkins and Jack Davies against Warriors.

The Blue, Black and White scored the opening try of the match when Wright made a break from deep before offloading to Doughty. The University of Bath student found Atkins on his outside and he had the pace to finish in the corner. Cook then missed the conversion. 5-0.

Warriors hit back instantly with a score of their own. They made the most of the space provided down the right side, with Josh Linney scoring in the corner to level the scores. 5-5.

Linney scored his second try of the evening a few minutes later after Naca Kinikinilau chased down his own chip and passed to Linney who went over the whitewash to put the Warriors in front for the first time. 5-12.

Bath levelled the scores once again on the stroke of half-time. Kinikinilau received a yellow card and was sin-binned for playing the ball on the floor. Cook taped the subsequent penalty and found de Glanville, whose perfectly timed step and pass sent Doughty through to score under the posts. Cook easily kicked the conversion. 12-12.

Half-time: Bath Rugby 12-12 Worcester Warriors

Bath carried on from where they left off and scored again from a penalty. Wright taped and spread the play right towards De Glanville, and the 18-year-old cut through the Worcester defence to score unopposed. His conversion further increased Bath’s lead. 19-12.

Will Butt scored Bath’s fourth try of the match when De Glanville sent Wright through, who offloaded to Butt to score. De Glanville’s conversion flew just wide. 24-12.

Levi Davis then got in on the act with Bath’s fifth and final try. After Worcester lose possession, the winger gathered his own kick and touched down past the whitewash.

Full-time: Bath Rugby 29-12 Worcester Warriors

Davis, de Glanville, Atkins, Allinson, Wright, Cattell, Partington started the second game against Exeter.

Chiefs looked destined to score in the corner early on but a great try-saving tackle from Cattell kept the scores level. Exeter eventually made their early pressure count when Tom O’Flaherty dummied past Cattell to score, despite a brave chase from Davis. 7-0.

Santiago Cordero showed his international class as he stepped inside and out to beat Atkins and de Glanville before dotting down under the posts to double Exeter’s lead. 14-0.

Davis got Bath on the scoresheet when he dived over the whitewash but Exeter re-established their 14-point lead through James Short, who had the pace to beat Allinson just before half-time. 19-5

Half-time: Exeter Chiefs 19-5 Bath Rugby

Bath showed some early intent in the second half with tries from Wil Partington and Doughty to reduce the Chiefs’ lead to just four points. 19-15.

Charlie Wright then scored for Exeter when he benefited from a Jack Maunder offload; before Short ended the contest with his second and Chief’s fifth and final try of the match.

Full-time: Exeter Chiefs 31-15 Bath Rugby

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.