Bath Rugby falter at Sixways

Despite a second half fightback and a try from Charlie Beech and conversion from Olly Barkley, Bath Rugby were unable to overcome the Worcester Warriors at Sixways, and they fell to a 16-7 defeat.

Bath were defending from early on in the game, as Worcester came out of the changing rooms all guns blazing, and they took the lead on the 10 minute mark with a penalty from fly-half Joe Carlisle.

The visitors slowly started working their way back into the game, and a bullocking run from Beech was the first real penetration Bath had into the Worcester 22. Whilst the move fizzled out, Bath had the advantage, and play was brought back for the penalty. Stephen Donald stepped up but couldn't quite find the angle with his kick.

Chances were limited for the visitors as Worcester dominated possession, but they continued to try to find a way through the stern home defence. Another meaningful attack ended with play being taken back for a Bath penalty, but again, Donald couldn't find his mark with the boot, and the score remained 3-0 to the home side after nearly half an hour of play.

The home side attacked with verve and looked threatening on the ball throughout the first half, and the last play of the first half saw them finally break through the Bath defence, as Miles Benjamin surged through and over the try line. Carlisle  converted, giving the home side a 10-0 advantage at the break.

Bath came out for the second half determined to take control of the game, but were met with a resistant Warriors side, who were able to halt any significant attack.There was just 10 minutes left of the game before either side troubled the scoreboard again, with Bath finally finding a way through the Warriors.

After a lengthy injury delay as lock Dave Attwood, who had been injured in the previous attacking drive, was treated, Bath had an attacking lineout 20 metres from the try line. Replacement hooker, Will Tanner, found his man, and the forwards drove the Warriors backwards, and broke off to power over the line. After a long consultation with the TMO, the try was awarded to Beech, his first in Bath colours. Olly Barkley converted, securing the extras. 13-7.

The fightback looked to be on for Bath, as they tried to wrestle control from the home side. However, with 6 minutes remaining, the Warriors had worked their way into the Bath 22, and looked to try and pick a gap through the defence. The strong line prevented the Warriors from breaching the try line, but it wasn't enough to stop Andy Goode from dropping a goal that took the losing bonus point from within Bath's grasps. Final Score Worcester Warriors 16 Bath Rugby 7.

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.