Twelve-try United wing it against Somerset

Twelve tries, including seven through wings George Wacokecoke and Darren Atkins, saw Bath United romp to a 72-7 victory against a Somerset XV tonight at the Rec - the home side more than doubling their previous score against the county side. 

Having already seen a Rory Jennings penalty attempt rebound off the upright, United had to wait until the 18th minute before registering the first points of the match. But they were worth it, as scrum-half Will Homer peeled off the back of a maul, drew Somerset's outermost defender and fed the onrushing George Wacokecoke to score. 

It was to be the first of three tries for the winger in the first half, but the second of three kicks from Jennings that unluckily hit the woodwork. It was inside centre Owen Waters, replicating Homer's earlier draw-and-pass, who then put Wacokecoke in for his second try, before the wing then created the third all by himself with a straight sprint from halfway. 

Jennings made the conversion for Wacocecoke's third score, and did likewise for fellow England U20s back Max Clark's try close to the end of the half, as the centre breezed through Somerset's 22 to touch down. 

Perhaps the pick of tries in the first half belonged to Darren Atkins. Receiving the ball inside his own half, the winger stood up his opposite number with remarkable ease, stepped two more and then gassed his way to the line with speed to burn. Jennings couldn't quite make the conversion. 

Half time: Bath United 29-0 Somerset XV

Somerset did themselves no favours at the commencement of the second half, having a player sent to the sin-bin for an offence within minutes of the match restarting. Bullocking number eight David Sisi made them pay for the indiscretion, using every kilo of his considerable build to batter his way through for the sixth try of the night. Jennings converted. 36-0. 

Somerset were offered some succour in the 52nd minute when they made a midfield break count, with some enterprising passing leaving the retreating United defence in disarray, before their number three crashed through for the try. With extras added, it was now 36-7. 

Clark was instrumental in United's next two tries: first engineering a move that opened up a gap for Wacokecoke to score his fifth try (converted by Jennings), and then showing gas of his own as he powered up the wing before slipping a pass to newcomer Sid Blackmore to score. By now, United led 48-7 going into the final quarter. 

Atkins then uncannily replicated his first-half score, proving there is no substitute for speed out wide. Jennings took United further into the lead with his conversion. Somerset made life harder still for themselves when they had another man sent to the bin. It made inside centre Owen Waters' job that much easier as he glided in for a try, converted by Jennings. 

That was then followed up by an effortless touchdown from Homer, who showed a similar aptitude for shredding the Somerset defence inside their 22. 

There was still time for one more try, and it duly came through Atkins, whose third try was set up by replacement back row Charlie Morris-Mean. The conversion was a kick too far for Jennings, but the fly-half had already orchestrated a landslide victory against United's county counterparts. 

Full time: Bath United 72-7 Somerset XV





New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.