Bath set up Gloucester clash with win over the Ospreys

Former Ospreys player Andy Williams was the hero as he powered through two tackles in the sixty-fifth minute to score the try that sealed Bath's victory. However, there were some superb performances across the field for the visitors in what was an entertaining game in front of an 8,000 strong crowd in Swansea.
"I thought that Danny Grewcock was absolutely outstanding today," said Bath Rugby's Head Coach John Connolly after the match. "However, I was also pleased with the youngsters, whilst I thought that Andy Williams and Olly Barkley also played well."

Indeed it was Olly Barkley, who was Bath's hero against Bristol, who started the game as he had ended the last with a monster 50 metre penalty to give the visitors an early advantage.

However, the lead was to be short-lived as the Ospreys responded immediately with a penalty try after Richard Mustoe was taken out by Tom Cheeeman in the air as he leapt to catch the ball over the Bath try line following a cross-field kick. Matthew Jones converted.

Bath came back into the game with a fine five pointer after Danny Grewcock showed subtle skills to offload in the tackle to Frikkie Welsh for a try in the corner. Olly Barkley's conversion attempt hit the upright, but still fell the right side of the posts.

As the first half continued, Bath got into their stride and began to take the game to the Ospreys. Frikkie Welsh came close to a second score before Olly Barkley added a second penalty to stretch the advantage to six points.

Unfortunately for Bath and the big South African winger, Welsh was forced to leave the field shortly afterwards through injury, forcing Andy Williams to move out to the wing with Nick Walshe coming in at scrum half. The change seemed to shift the momentum away from the visitors and the Ospreys started to play some good handling rugby in what was their best period of a first half which Bath had dominated in terms of territory and possession. Bath's defence was immense though and the Ospreys were held up over the try line by some superb tackling.

The Ospreys started the second half strongly and after Bath were caught offside in their own twenty-two Matthew Jones kicked a penalty to reduce the arrears to just three points. The revival continued just three minutes later when Matthew Jones powered over the Bath line after some good build-up play.

Bath reshuffled once more bringing Chris Malone on for Ryan Davis. The Australian fly half made an immediate impact, making a break which resulted in Olly Barkley stroking over his third penalty before Malone himself dropped a goal to hand the lead back to Bath.

Bath continued to press and Andy Williams, playing on the wing, made a strong break and crashed over the line despite some close company from two Ospreys defenders.

The Ospreys were not out of the game though and after Matt Perry spilt the ball in contact, they mounted a strong attack. Bath, defending their line rigorously, gave away a penalty and replacement fly half Shaun Connor stepped up to convert the points.

However, Bath had the final say as Olly Barkley landed a penalty deep in injury time to wrap the game up.

Bath Rugby: 15 Matt Perry, 14 Salesi Finau, 13 Tom Cheeseman, 12 Ryan Davis (Chris Malone), 11 Frikkie Welsh (1t) (Nick Walshe), 10 Olly Barkley (4p, 1c), 9 Andy Williams (1 try), 1 David Barnes, 2 Pieter Dixon (Rob Hawkins), 3 Duncan Bell (Matt Stevens), 4 James Hudson, 5 Danny Grewcock (Steve Borthwick), 6 Chris Goodman, 7 James Scaysbrook, 8 Gareth Delve.

16 Rob Hawkins, 17 Matt Stevens, 18 Dan Smith, 19 Steve Borthwick, 20 Nick Walshe, 21 Chris Malone, 22 Spencer Davey.

Ospreys: 15 Damien Karauna, 14 Richard Mustoe, 13 Andrew Bishop, 12 Leigh Davis, 11 Aled Brew, 10 Matthew Jones 9 (1p, 1c) (Shaun Connor 1p), 9 Jason Spice (Martyn Roberts), 1 Paul James (Duncan Jones), 2 Barry Williams, 3 Adam Jones (1 try) (Duncan Jones), 4 Andrew Newman (Brent Cockbain), 5 Ian Evans, 6 Jonathan Thomas, 7 Richard Pugh, 8 Ryan Jones(Andy Lloyd).

16 Duncan Jones, 17 Huw Bennett, 18 Brent Cockbain, 19 Andy Lloyd, 20 Lee Beech, 21 Martin Roberts, 22 Shaun Connor.

Ref: Nigel Owens (WRU).
Att: 8103
Man of the Match: Danny Grewcock

Time line:

3 mins: Olly Barkley pen (0-3)
8 mins: Penalty try, Matthew Jones con (7-3)
17 mins: Frikkie Welsh try, Olly Barkley con (7-10)
27 mins: Olly Barkley penalty (7-13)
42 mins: Matthew Jones penalty (10-13)
46 mins: Matthew Jones try and con (17-13)
54 mins: Olly Barkley penalty (17-16)
60 mins: Chris Malone drop goal (17-19)
65 mins: Andy Williams try (17-24)
71 mins: Shuan Connor pen (20-24)
82 mins: Olly Barkley pen (20-27)

New to Bath Rugby?

Join Bath Rugby for:

  • Epic, elite entertainment
  • Passionate, family-friendly atmosphere
  • Email Previews & Post-match reports

Find out more or enter your email address to get started.