"10 Golden Rules" of Nutrition:
1. Eat little & often.
- Aim to eat every 2-3 hours (5-8 meals a day).
2. Consume proteins with every meal.
- Beef, chicken, pork,fish, eggs, nuts.
3. Consume vegetables with each food meal.
- Stick to leafy green and vibrant coloured vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach & coloured peppers.
4. Stay well hydrated.
- Drink 2-3 litres of water per day.
5. Consume a variety of fruits & berries.
- Darker, thin skinned fruits and berries, such as blueberries, cherries & plums, are best as they are higher in anti-oxidants.
6. Choose healthy fats.
- Cook with small amounts of coconut oil &/or unsalted butter.
- Use olive oil on salads and vegetables.
- Include seeds and nuts as snacks.
7. Focus on consuming whole foods.
- The majority of your diet should consist of whole, unprocessed foods. With the exception of post-workout/bedtime protein shakes.
8. Include variety in your diet.
- Get your protein & carbohydrates from a number of different sources, to ensure maximum nutrient absorption and to avoid food allergies.
9. Avoid 'empty' calories.
- Doughnuts, Coca-Cola & crisps contain calories, but no nutritional goodness.
10. Stick to the 90/10 rule.
- 90% of your meals should consist of the dietary recommendations above, with the other 10% allowing for 'cheat meals'. If you eat 6 meals a day, thats 42 meals a week, then that means that you can allow yourself 4 'cheat meals' a week.