skip to main content skip to accessibility policy

Match report

2 years ago


Bath Rugby 32 v 9 Worcester Warriors

9 February 2013, KO 14:15

Recreation Ground
AVIVA Premiership




9 February 2013, 6:42pm

Five try bonus point win for Bath Rugby

Bath Rugby burst back into Aviva Premiership action with a barn-storming bonus point win over Worcester Warriors at the Recreation Ground this afternoon, final-score 32-9.

A tight first-half saw the two sides go in just four points apart, but in the later 40 minutes Bath opened up, spreading the ball wide and at pace, and scoring 19 unanswered points on their way to victory.

The home side set the tone early, applying pressure to the Worcester defence from the outset.

The first try came with just five minutes gone on the clock, courtesy of scrum-half Peter Stringer. Ben Skirving picked the ball up from the base of the scrum and charged towards the line. The ball was recycled and sent wide to Abendanon who jinked his way towards the line. He offloaded to Biggs who took play up to the line, with Stringer on hand to gather the ball and dart over from short-range. 5-0.

The Warriors weren't content to let Bath have it all their own way however, and were working hard to break through the defence. They were awarded a penalty, which fly-half Danny Gray sent to touch. Winger David Lemi looked to have crossed the line, only for the try to be ruled out due to a forward pass. Referee Wayne Barnes did however award the visitors another penalty, which Gray sent cleanly through the posts to reduce the deficit. 5-3.

Bath maintained their early pressure though, building momentum patiently in the Worcester half. With 23 minutes gone on the clock, a Bath lineout five metres out and subsequent drive saw Worcester lock Dean Schofield sent to the sin-bin for an infringement at the maul. Bath immediately took advantage of the extra man. They opted for a second line-out, heaved forward with a powerful driving maul, and Rob Webber burrowed over for his first try in Bath colours, on his first Premiership appearance for the Club. 10-3.

As before though, Worcester came back at the home side, and another successful penalty from Gray edged them closer on the scoreboard. 10-6.

As the first-half wound down, Gray and Donald exchanged another penalty a piece, as Worcester stubbornly held on to stay within four points as the two sides went in at the break.

Half-time score Bath Rugby 13 – Worcester Warriors 9.

The visitors came out on the front foot at the start of the second-half, forcing their way up the pitch into the Bath half. Under pressure, the home side infringed one too many times for Barnes's liking, and Dave Attwood was shown a yellow card. Worcester forced a series of scrums, and had prop Aleki Lutui held up over the line, before Barnes blew his whistle and signalled a Bath penalty, much to the home crowds delight.

Bath took immediate advantage as well, with the ball being spread wide from the line-out. Donald supplied the ball to Kyle Eastmond, who floated a lovely pass out to the flying Tom Biggs on the wing. The Saxons star shifted in the air, collected the ball and stepped the Worcester defender to sail over in the corner from outside the 22.

The all-important bonus point try came courtesy of Horacio Agulla, with Eastmond once again playing provider. The centre, having received a neat pass from replacement Tom Heathcote, went on a surging run, lofted a superb cut-out pass to the winger who stepped inside and dived over the line. Heathcote added the conversion, extending the lead to 16 points. 25-9.

And it was Agulla who scored the final try of the game. Worcester were down to 13 men having had both Craig Gillies and David Lemi sent to the naughty step for foul play and a deliberate knock-on respectively, and it looked as if Biggs was going to sneak over for his second, only for some desperate Worcester defending to bundle him into touch.

Heathcote took the ball deep into the 22, saw the gap out wide and chipped a sublime ball for Agulla to run onto. The Argentinian gathered the ball and slid over in the corner for his second try of the game, and Bath's fifth. Heathcote sealed the win with the conversion.

Final score – Bath Rugby 32 – Worcester Warriors 9.

Match details

Referee: Wayne Barnes
Half Time score: 13-9


Tries: Stringer (4), Webber (22), Biggs (53), Agulla (62,76)
Cons: Heathcote (63,77)
Pens: Donald (37)


Pens: Gray (13,25,35)

Man of the match award

Anthony Perenise

Bath score card

Name Tries Conv Pen Drop Pts
Horacio Agulla 2 0 0 0 10
Tom Biggs 1 0 0 0 5
Stephen Donald 0 0 1 0 3
Peter Stringer 1 0 0 0 5
Robert Webber 1 0 0 0 5
Tom Heathcote 0 2 0 0 4

Worcester score card

Name Tries Conv Pen Drop Pts
Danny Gray 0 0 3 0 9

Other results

09/02/13 Harlequins 16 - 17 London Wasps
09/02/13 Leicester 28 - 12 London Welsh
09/02/13 London Irish 29 - 16 Saracens
09/02/13 Northampton 11 - 27 Gloucester
Bath Rugby Lineup
Player image


Sam Vesty

Fly Half




P D C T Pos Player   Player Pos T C D P
FB Nick Abendanon15Errie Claassens FB
2 W Horacio Agulla14Josh Drauniniu W
C Matthew Banahan13Alex Grove C
C Kyle Eastmond12Jon Clarke C
1 W Tom Biggs11David Lemi W
1 FH Stephen Donald10Danny Gray FH 3
1 SH Peter Stringer9Jonny Arr SH
P Charlie Beech1Matt Mullan P
1 H Robert Webber2Aleki Lutui H
P Anthony Perenise3John Andress P
L Dominic Day4James Percival L
L Dave Attwood5Dean Schofield L
FL Francois Louw6Neil Best FL
FL Carl Fearns7Sam Betty FL
8 Ben Skirving8Matt Kvesic 8


rh Ross Batty16Ed Shervington rh
rp Nathan Catt17Ceri Jones rp
rp Kane Palma-Newport18Rob O'Donnell rp
r8 Will Spencer19Craig Gillies r8
rfl Mathew Gilbert20Jake Abbott rfl
rsh Chris Cook21Paul Hodgson rsh
2 rfh Tom Heathcote22Joe Carlisle rfh
rc Semesa Rokoduguni23Josh Matavesi rc